Blue Mountains Grammar School has developed and implemented a wellbeing framework designed to empower students to flourish in a rapidly changing world. The framework utilises current evidence-based practice in conjunction with a Christian worldview and is based on six elements:
- Connect: Students form strong connections within Houses and Tutor groups between one another, with members of other year groups and with staff, making lifelong meaningful relationships and developing a sense of belonging.
- Anchor: students have many opportunities to develop their own self- worth and identity and to anchor themselves through developing a strong ethical framework.
- Challenge: students are encouraged to embrace challenge in its various forms as a means for personal growth and development. This involves empowering students to take positive risks and try new things.
- Equip: students are given the opportunity to develop social and emotional skills as well as conflict resolution and resilience skills required to face challenges and grow through them. Students are also provided with opportunities to learn about their own personal strengths and how they can use these gifts in future vocations.
- Serve: students learn the value of using their gifts for the benefit of the School and broader community.
- Appreciate: Students are provided with opportunities to count their blessings. This helps to develop a sense of gratitude and thankfulness and to acknowledge the contribution of others.
Fostering student leadership is a central element of BMGS’s Student Well-being Program. The strong foundation for this program is laid in the House based tutor groups, and in the liaison between the Tutor and Head of House. It provides students from Year 5 onward with leadership training and skills development, and there are a growing number of opportunities to experience positions of responsibility, in both informal and formal capacities. Our culture of collaboration ensures a mutual respect between staff, families and students and enhances our ability to create a School environment which is collaborative, engaging and invigorating.